Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June has arrived....now I'm SCARED

So, most of my recent blogs have been related to my upcoming surgery. I am officially having roux-en-y gastric bypass on June 28th. I have preop testing on the 16th, which at this point is just over 2 weeks away. EEP! I am anxious for the 16th day to get here because it will be a day filled with alot of education for me. Jared and I will participate in a 2 hour nutrition class that day and will have the final meeting with the surgeon to discuss any final questions or details. Two days later, on the 18th, I'll begin a clear liquid diet. It will include all no calorie and low calorie clear liquids. I can drink/eat as much of them as I like, but it will only include broths, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, water, low calorie Gatorade diluted with water, etc. It will be all I can eat for the 10 days prior to surgery, which is undoubtedly going to suck some major sweaty balls. I've read and heard the first three days are pure hell and then your body becomes numb to the the lack of real food. I sure hope that is the case. I will make it through and I think my real motivation is knowing the surgery will not happen if I don't follow this diet strictly. I've been waiting for this time to come for what seems like forever; however, now that it is so close I realize just how scared I am.

It's time for me to focus and get ready for the ride. I still need to decide how I want to document this journey. It may take me awhile before I can really get settled into one method so for now the blog is going to be my way of keeping track. I am preparing myself to take some "preop" photo's, but I haven't decided how I want to use them or if I will post those on the blog just yet. I have plenty of recent pictures of me on here so anyone who reads this should have a good idea of what I currently look like. I hope to get some photo's up from the recent wedding as well.

I do plan on trying to do a weekly photo and a weekly blog note to talk about my progress. It may be more frequently than that at first or it could be less frequent, time will tell. I'm just going to do it as I see fit when the time rolls around. For now, I'll keep updating as the month moves on to keep track of my feelings and thoughts.

3 comments:

rxBambi said...

good luck! 10 days without food does sound like torture, but it'll all be worth it in the end.
It was great meeting you this weekend!

Little Ms Blogger said...

Wow! I didn't realize the fasting/cleansing type diet that occurred prior to the operation.

I give you a lot of credit, but I'm guessing if I wanted the surgery that badly, it wouldn't even matter. I'd line up a bunch of stuff to do prior -- hey, can you drink diet sodas? I LOVE diet cola....

Can't wait to follow your progress.

Bamboo said...

Thanks so much you two.

Bambi it was great meeting you as well. I wanted to get a chance to stop by and chat more after the ceremony, but everything seemed to go so quickly. Before I knew it the night was over.

Little Ms. B, yes I can drink any of the diet sodas. I am not typically much of a soda drinker. I will have it from time to time, but for this I may have to learn to enjoy it simply for added flavor.

Post a Comment